Friday, November 29, 2013

New Traditions are Born

Thanksgiving day is usually a time when family and friends gather together, eat their favorite holiday foods and enjoy each other's company. Most years this is what we have done, too. This year, however, I decided that I would rather stay home. The inconvenience of trying to go anywhere caused by diet restrictions, both my own and the kids', made the idea of going anywhere just seem not worth it to me this year.

We did have an enjoyable, though non-traditional, day. We took the kids to the movies to see Frozen. I actually can't even remember the last time we all went to the movies together, if ever. Apparently this is a lot of people's holiday tradition because the movie theater was quite busy.

We skipped the turkey part of dinner, but Bob did make some of the other holiday usuals. He made special versions of old time favorites that I would be able to eat. I indulged in vegan mashed potatoes and gravy, gluten free, vegan stuffing and corn...mmm, mmm, mmm. It was so nice to have something different from what I usually eat.

The kids on the other hand don't enjoy Thanksgiving feast type foods, with the exception of Brennan, so Bob made them homemade pizzas. Bob's grandmother had made a pumpkin pie, so they enjoyed dessert first with gram and pap followed by dinner at home. I told you it was completely non-traditional.

I had learned such a valuable lesson from making my own list of what I'm grateful for that I decided to pass the lesson on to my children. I had each of them make a list of what they are grateful for and we shared our lists sitting around the fire pit enjoying a winter fire with some hot cocoa for them and veggie juice for me.

It was a stress-free, relaxing, much needed kind of day. And I do believe that a completely non-traditional Thanksgiving will be the "new tradition" around here.

  

1 comment: