Thursday, November 28, 2013

Giving Thanks

The following is a list of 30 things I am grateful for in celebration of Thanksgiving. When I started the list I was feeling anything but thankful. After focusing my energy on all that I have instead of what I don't, my mood began to lift. After reading it leave a comment saying what you are grateful for.
.
(This list is in no particular order and is by no means a complete list. I am thankful for these things and so much more)

30. TV land - because I love watching reruns of past favorite shows

29. to be over my fear of flying- I now have a sense of freedom that I could go anywhere in the world (well, if I had the money)

28. for my reverse osmosis unit - Bob connected it to our refrigerator so not only do I have clean water to drink I also have clean ice

27. my 18 year old Chevy Suburban - though it's old and falling apart, it still gets me to and from wherever I need to go

26. to be free from my addiction to diet soda - I haven't had any since the day I found out I had c*****, that was over 9 months ago

25. to be free from my addiction to soap operas- what an incredibly useless and wasteful way to spend my time, though I'm quite sure I have found new incredibly useless and wasteful ways to spend time

24. my job because not only does it pay bills but I get to be off most of the same days as my children and the summer

23. My grandmother from whom I have learned so much - She's almost 94 years old and has a lifetime of stories dating back to before the Great Depression

22. for all the people, some friends old and new and some people I have never met, that take time to leave comments / send me messages - those comments shed some light on some of my darkest days

21. for winter coat pockets- never fails, every year I feel as though I hit the lottery

20. for my best friend who would drop everything if I needed her, would give me her last dollar and not think twice, keeps all my secrets and supports me through all life's bumpy roads

19. my mother's love - I've definitely given her more than a few sleepless nights but she never gave up on me

18. my mother's guidance and support (yes, my mother gets two) at the age of just 15 I was pregnant. She protected me from the ridicule, gave me the option to give my baby up for adoption or to keep him, then taught me how to be a mother and made me take responsibility for him rather than doing everything for me. It was so difficult at the time but I love her for it now.

17. that for 10 years I was able to be a stay-at-home mother to my 5 beautiful children - financially it was rough but if given the chance to do it all over again, I wouldn't change a thing

16. soccer- even though it takes up so much of our lives, the boys love it and the joy that it gives me watching them play is priceless

15. for chick flicks- because sometimes they are just so necessary

14. my only daughter- for being my little sidekick and well, the fact that we now wear the same size shoe, 'nough said

13. my oldest son- for not having been the typical teenager

12. my second born- for sharing my off-beat sense of humor

11. my fourth born- that through his food sensitivities I would have the opportunity to learn so much. It changed the course of our lives. His persistence in the midst of his struggles with dyslexia are inspiring and motivating. Though early on he was labeled the "bad one" by others, his adventurous and spirited personality bring joy to those around him

10. my fifth born- for being the best not girl baby ever. (I so desperately wanted a sister for Reagan) He absolutely never cried and slept through the night from the time he was born. His quiet demeanor and ability to play by himself made him the most perfect fifth child a mother could ask for.

9. for text messaging - because talking on the phone when you have children is a rarity.

8. that on 11/25/13 I combed my hair for the first time in 8 months :)

7. for all those who have given money, bought t-shirts, or candles, sent cards and more cards

6. for everyone who has prayed for me and continues to pray for me

5. for precious quiet moments alone - because they don't happen often, they are so much appreciated

4. for sunshine and 80 degrees and flip-flops and tanks- knowing they exist is what gets me through the winter months

3B. for Whole Foods, Trader Joe's, and the East End Food Coop for supplying my family with food without all the nasty artificial colors, flavors, and preservatives.

3A. for the day I stumbled across www.feingold.org - it has undoubtedly changed the course of my life       (I thought of this after I had completed the original list of 30, but it was way too important to leave out)

2. for my husband, Robert- though the 14 years we've been together haven't all been pretty we've stuck it out together. He has supported me like no other person through this journey. He supported my decision to have chemo (even though he didn't agree with it). He took care of me when I was too sick to take care of myself afterwards. And he has been my biggest supporter since quitting chemo and deciding to treat it holistically.  He picks me up when I'm down. He's been both my rock and my soft place to fall. I could write pages of all the ways in which he helps me everyday and still probably not even mention everything. I never could have made it this far without him.

1. for God's never ending mercy, grace, love, and forgiveness


Have a blessed Thanksgiving everyone!


At all times and for everything giving thanks in the name of our Lord Jesus Christ to God the Father. Ephesians 5: 20




2 comments:

  1. I love your list! Today I am thankful for many things, too! Soap operas...LOL . I do watch one, but it's one that my Gram started me on back in the day and we share conversations about it weekly to this day! I don't want to sway you back into the habit, so I'll stop talking about it....:)
    I am thankful for digital photography and dvr. I am thankful for my husband Ben, who has given me so much through his love and support. He reminds me of my Grandpap. He lets my do just about anything I want to do, buy what I want to buy(he knows I'm frugal, so that's not hard for him...) and he treats me with respect. I hope I'm as much of a wife to him as he is a husband to me! And my children. Gianna is so sweet and I have a feeling she's not going to be a typical teenager, either. And Harlon. He makes me laugh everyday and I could just stare at him all day and watch him talk and play. I wouldn't change a thing about either of my children. And Our Almighty Father in heaven. I have felt his Fatherly love many, many times.
    Have a wonderful Thanksgiving, Tara! I admire you for many reasons! I admire your faith. I admire your commitment to your recovery. I admire how educated you are about eating well. I have learned a lot from you and I'm sure I will learn more. And when you were commenting recently about that book you bought and read in a day, it reminded me of the time I said you were going to be an author too of your journey. I'll be first in line for when yours is published! Love ya,
    Jamie

    ReplyDelete
  2. We are thankful for your "boy hair." Knowing how long you had your long hair and how hard it was to lose it, we love how you look in short hair and how it opens up you wonderful smile even more. And, as Chloe says, "don't worry, her girl hair is coming."

    ReplyDelete