Wednesday, November 27, 2013

Dancing Again

As you know from my last blog posting I was having a rough few days. Immediately following that post I decided to write down thirty things I am grateful for in an attempt to help my worn spirit. At first I found this task incredibly difficult. My mood was such that I really didn't feel like being thankful, which is exactly why I knew I needed to write it. About halfway through it became easier. By the time I had neared the end I easily could have come up with thirty more. I was beginning to feel better already. I'll share that list in another post.

Okay, so I had my list. Now what, I thought. Knowing the importance exercise plays in mental health I decided to get on the trampoline and start jumping. Even if I only could manage to do it for a few minutes, I told myself,  it would help. That was really just my way of tricking myself into starting which is always  the hardest part when you really don't feel like doing anything at all.

Next, I decided to up my daily dose of vitamin D since my exposure to sunlight is nonexistent in Pittsburgh in November. Additionally, Bob gave me some passion flower to take.

I had covered all the basics I could think of. I was feeling better, but by no means was I feeling motivated, the kind of motivation that I felt I needed to kick some c***** butt.

That all took place on Tuesday. The next day we were supposed to get a big snow storm. I say supposed to because once again the weathermen were wrong, (surprised? not really) and we didn't get anything at all.

So with just wet roads on Wednesday morning, I decided to make a trip to the nutritionist's office to buy some needed supplements. Rarely when I'm out anywhere do I buy items that I've deemed unnecessary, but there was book that caught my attention- "A C***** Battle Plan: six strategies for beating c*****, from a recovered "hopeless case" by Anne E Frahm. I decided to splurge and I'm so glad I did.

This Book was the best $15 ever spent. Well, maybe not ever, but definitely worth every penny and then some. I can not say enough good things about this book. Now I'm not much of a reader, mostly because it's difficult to find the time, but once I started reading it I couldn't put it down. I read the entire book, all 172 pages, in one day. The author covered every aspect of her recovery- diet, exercise, attitude. I already knew most of the information in it but it was so nice to be able to relate to the author's thoughts and feelings and to feel validated in my own. Her simplistic way of retelling her story makes it a great read for everyone that is battling c***** or knows someone battling it, so everyone!

She wasn't diagnosed until she was in stage IV, after a misread mammogram and months of being told by doctors all her aches and pains were the result of something else. She endured months of chemo and had radiation, surgery, and a stem cell transplant. When all else had failed she turned to nutrition.

If you or someone you know has c***** this is a must read book. A MUST READ BOOK!!

From a scientific standpoint another book to read is "The China Study" but if you're like me and prefer the documentary version, watch "Forks over Knives" when you have an hour to spare. It's available on Netflix.

AND BUY THE BOOK!! And if anyone does buy and read the book, be sure to tell me what you think of it. I'd love to know if you loved it as much as me.






No comments:

Post a Comment